A growing number of Scottish local authorities want their pension fund to divest from nuclear weapons producers. We need your help to persuade other councils to support nuclear weapons divestment:
- Check section 3 of this guide to see whether the local government pension fund that covers your area has investments in nuclear weapons companies.
- Write to your local councillors explaining why you think that the fund should divest (click here for our template letter). Include a copy of our model resolution on divestment with the appropriate information inserted and suggest that this is put to the council, unless the council has passed a resolution already.
You can find out who your local councillors are at writetothem.com. This site also allows you to email your councillors using an online form.
- You should also request that your councillors pass on your concerns about nuclear weapons investments to the convenor of the pensions committee, which administers the fund.
- If you do not receive a satisfactory response, request a meeting with your councillors or attend one of their regular surgeries.
- Let us know how you get on. If you get stuck, we can help: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You could also contact members of the pensions committee directly, as they have the power to change the fund’s statement of investment principles. See section 3 for a link to the list of pensions committee members for each fund.
If you are a member of the Scottish Local Government Pension Scheme, see section 8.3 for information on what you can do to encourage your fund to divest from nuclear weapons.