Don’t Bank on the Bomb Scotland is a network of individuals campaigning for Scottish organisations and financial institutions to divest from companies that are involved in the production and maintenance of nuclear weapons and their delivery systems. We are part of the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN) network in Scotland.
Nuclear weapons will become illegal under international humanitarian law once 50 countries ratify the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons, yet nuclear-armed states continue to modernise their arsenals at an expected cost of US$1.7 trillion over the next 30 years. Now is the time to stop this nuclear insanity and that means we must pressure our banks, pension funds and universites to stop investing in nuclear weapons.
Everyone can play a part in the divestment campaign and this guide is intended to be a resource for those who wish to engage with Scottish organisations about nuclear weapons divestment:
- Section 1 explains the reasons why Scottish organisations should divest from nuclear weapons;
- Section 2 explains which nuclear weapons producers are covered in this report;
- Section 3 details local authority pension funds’ investments in nuclear weapons producers;
- Section 4 is about the Scottish Parliamentary Pension Scheme’s investments;
- Section 5 contains information about some Scottish Universities’ investments and their policies;
- Sections 6 and 7 provide details of financial institutions in Scotland that currently finance nuclear weapons, so you know which ones to target;
- Section 8 is a guide to the actions that you can take to promote divestment.
To download a pdf version of this guide, click here.
Don’t Bank on the Bomb Scotland members:
This guide was researched and written by Linda Pearson. References to the 2018 DBOTB throughout are to: Maaike Beenes and Susi Snyder, “Don’t Bank on the Bomb: A Global Report on the Financing of Nuclear Weapons Producers”, PAX (March 2018). We would like to acknowledge the kind assistance of Susi Snyder in reviewing the content of this guide before publication.